Rebecca Ann Fisco

Rebecca Ann Fisco
Vanity Kills, 2014
Photography
7" x 5"

This photo was taken for an assignment for art history class with the theme women in art. I got the idea to photograph a woman who was overcome by her own vanity and decides to take her life, or, at least, the life of the woman who is obsessed with the mirror and all things traditionally feminine.



Rebecca Ann Fisco
Portrait of a girl2015
Photography
 9" x 11"


Rebecca Ann Fisco
Story Lines2014
Photography
9" x 14"

I myself am a woman artist, so a lot of my work speaks back to feminism and the life of women. Women in art is something I feel very strongly about, and I'm constantly thinking about the struggles of women artists, and how women have been portrayed in art. Too often women are portrayed as an object, something to be consumed.

I like to take portraits that have small details that tell a story. This specific portrait is of my mother. The lines on her face show the years she's lived and all of her experiences, hence the title "Story Lines." The ring on her finger has a birthstone for each of her seven children. I chose black and white to speak back to traditional film photography, which is the inspiration for most of my work. 

Comments

Popular Posts