Danielle Yagodich


Danielle Yagodich
She is Solid, 2014
Acrylic on canvas
3" x 3"

I spent the ages of 18-23 dealing with a pretty severe eating disorder that resulted in hospitalization and a stint in the BHU of my local hospital.
My painting is a self portrait, an honest portrayal of what my body naturally is after the fact. 
No skeletal legs, no thigh gap. Minimal clavicle and average arms.
No more frailty. No more limbs like branches.
Painting it was my way of accepting it.
I didn't realize it until the piece was done, but I painted myself strong with a world that had fallen apart behind me, but hope above me.
I tend to not fully understand what I'm painting while I'm painting it.
Anyway, I painted myself strong, imperfect but strong in the hopes that art could imitate life.
I'm not sure if I'm as strong as I'd like yet, but I'm working on it.


Comments

Popular Posts